The American Homebrewers Association has recently compiled a list of the top 50 craft beers, after asking the readers of Zymurgy to submit their favorite 20. For the third year running, Russian River's Pliny the Elder tops the charts. What's truly amazing is how many beers are tied for various positions throughout the list.
Check below for the complete list!
(T indicates tie)
1. Russian River Pliny the Elder
2. Bell’s Two Hearted Ale
T3. Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA
T3. Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout
5. Bell’s Hopslam
6. Stone Arrogant Bastard
7. Sierra Nevada Celebration
T8. Sierra Nevada Torpedo
T8. Stone Ruination
10. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
11. Stone Sublimely Self Righteous
12. Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine
13. Goose Island Bourbon County Stout
T14. Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter
T14. Oskar Blues Dale’s Pale Ale
T16. Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA
T16. New Glarus Belgian Red
18. North Coast Old Rasputin
19. Bell’s Expedition Stout
T20. Deschutes The Abyss
T20. Left Hand Milk Stout
T20. Odell IPA
T20. Samuel Adams Noble Pils
T20. Surly Furious
T20. Troegs Nugget Nectar
T26. Rogue Dead Guy Ale
T26. Samuel Adams Boston Lager
28. Anchor Steam
T29. Bear Republic Racer 5
T29. Ommegang Three Philosophers
T29. Oskar Blues Ten Fidy
T29. Three Floyds Alpha King
T29. Three Floyds Dark Lord
T34. Avery Maharaja
T34. Dogfish Head Indian Brown
T34. Dogfish Head Palo Santo Marron
T34. Three Floyds Gumballhead
T38. Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA
T38. Lost Abbey Angel’s Share
T38. New Belgium La Folie
T38. New Belgium Ranger
T38. Oskar Blues Old Chub
T43. Ballast Point Sculpin IPA
T43. Great Divide Yeti
T43. New Belgium 1554
T43. Russian River Blind Pig
T43. Ska Modus Hoperandi
T48. Alesmith Speedway Stout
T48. Dark Horse Crooked Tree
T48. Green Flash West Coast IPA
T48. Summit EPA
T48. Victory Prima Pils
If you thought this list was awesome, they've also listed the choices for Top Brewery! Check it!
1. Dogfish Head Craft Brewery, Milton, Del.
2. Bell's Brewery, Kalamazoo, Mich.
3. Sierra Nevada Brewing Co., Chico, Calif.
4. Stone Brewing Co., Escondido, Calif.
5. Russian River Brewing Co., Santa Rosa, Calif.
6. Founders Brewing Co., Grand Rapids, Mich.
7. New Belgium Brewing Co., Fort Collins, Colo.
8. Boston Beer Co. (Samuel Adams), Boston, Mass.
9. Three Floyds Brewing Co., Munster, Ind.
10. Oskar Blues Brewing Co., Longmont, Colo.
11. Goose Island Beer Co., Chicago, Ill.
T12. Lagunitas Brewing Co., Petaluma, Calif.
T12. New Glarus Brewing Co., New Glarus, Wis.
14. Deschutes Brewery, Bend, Ore.
15. Great Lakes Brewing Co., Cleveland, Ohio
16. Odell Brewing Co., Fort Collins, Colo.
17. Avery Brewing Co., Boulder, Colo.
18. Great Divide Brewing Co., Denver, Colo.
19. Victory Brewing Co., Downington, Pa.
20. Surly Brewing Co., Minneapolis, Minn.
21. Rogue Ales, Newport, Ore.
22. Firestone Walker Brewing Co., Paso Robles, Calif.
T23. Brooklyn Brewery, Brooklyn, N.Y.
T23. North Coast Brewing Co., Fort Bragg, Calif.
T24. Bear Republic Brewing Co., Healdsburg, Calif.
T24. Left Hand Brewing Co., Longmont, Colo.
The heist, which may in fact be the biggest bourbon boondoggle on record, saw 65 cases of Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve 20 Year, and nine cases of...read more ›
On December 5, drinkers around the U.S. commemorate Repeal Day. But why did Prohibition come about in the first place?...read more ›
Roses, raspberry, truffle and smoke are all flavors associated with pinot noir, most of which could be ingredients in a turkey recipe, anyway. ...read more ›
Why is Thanksgiving Eve a big party night? It's the perfect storm for drinking fun. ...read more ›
Surely the bong-shaped tap handle Redhook sent to bars with kegs of the stuff had something to do with the buz...read more ›
Despite the rumor that Manhattan was named for the Delaware Indian word for "the place we got drunk that time," New York City is hard on local breweri...read more ›
Due to the exponential growth the craft beer segment has experienced in recent years, Brewer's Association can no longer fit in its current home. ...read more ›
Though inspired in part by last year's Superstorm Sandy, this wintertime brew is actually meant as a salute to...read more ›
According to the label, Dogfish Head had over a thousand ingredient suggestions, but they don't specify whether patchouli and weed were on the list. ...read more ›
When Game of Thrones returns for its fourth season next spring, Brewery Ommegang will introduce a third beer in this ongoing series inspired by the hi...read more ›
When you're a kid, Halloween is the ultimate holiday. How can adults add some excitement back into the pumpkin-themed October mayhem? ...read more ›