Careers at The Drink Nation
The Drink Nation: Director of Marketing
The Drink Nation is an online magazine about drinking culture, focused on providing information and education to the sophisticated drinker. Through daily articles and video segments, TDN highlights all the newest craft beers, wines, and cocktails this nation has to offer, and provides news and opinion on drink-related topics of interest. The Drink Nation is an expansion project of Drink Philly, which was recently deemed the No. 1 Happy Hour Directory in Philadelphia by LivingSocial. In February 2011, Drink Philly and its founder, Adam Schmidt, received the Wharton Entrepreneurship Conference People’s Choice Award for best new startup company, a major step up from its modest origins as an Excel spreadsheet shared amongst a few friends. Currently, the other local arms of TDN are Drink Baltimore, Drink DC, Drink Denver, Drink NYC, and Drink Portland. For more information, visit TheDrinkNation.com, follow @TheDrinkNation on Twitter or find The Drink Nation on Facebook.
What we’re looking for:
TheDrinkNation.com is seeking a Director of Marketing for our rapidly growing nation-wide web publication. We are looking for someone to handle all aspects of marketing of our organization and we seek a creative minded individual who has proven results of web traffic growth and email acquisition . This position is responsible for developing and executing a company marketing plan to aggressively grow our company’s web presence and increase brand recognition. This position will also manage promotion teams across the country in six markets and will require an outgoing and clear communicating and driven individual. We are looking for a professional who has prior and proven performance of growing traffic of a web publication.
- Develop and execute annual marketing plan for all cities
- Plan advertising budget on a semi annual basis
- Grow companies web presence
- Grow website traffic through proven techniques
- Manage social media
- Seek out strategic partnerships
- Manage brand image
- Seek out PR opportunities
- Maintain relationships with press
- Book speaking and in person appearances for CEO
- Develop recommendations to reach new members through desktop and mobile campaigns, including creative and messaging strategy
- Oversee partnership communication with partners to optimize traffic goals, and ensure company is on-target for goals set with partners.
- Communicate on a consistent basis with internal editorial teams to evaluate opportunities for content syndication, as well as manage the syndication process in a timely and efficient manner.
- Develop and execute subscription growth strategies
- Develop growth opportunities to scale traffic to website
- Oversee data reports and analysis as pertaining to partnerships – report weekly to CEO
- Work cross-functionally with internal marketing teams to support CRM and other internal marketing strategies
- Support overall marketing group initiatives, as well as company marketing campaigns as needed
- Manage workflow for interns and staff as appropriate
- Develop email acquisition strategy and grow email subscriber list in all markets
- Design, manage and implement digital subscriber acquisition marketing strategy to ensure that objectives are met to maximum efficiency
- Manage monthly marketing spend using budget as efficiently as possible
- Find, book, and manage promo teams and events
- Seek out events for us to send promo teams to
- Assemble and manage promo teams to go to events
- Budget and order promo materials for promo team
- Various duties as assigned
- A bachelor’s degree, preferably in Marketing, Advertising or related field
- 5+ years of customer acquisition digital marketing experience in an ecommerce / direct response environment
- In-depth understanding of Facebook’s paid advertising platform, paid search, mobile media, affiliate marketing, display media, and sponsored content campaigns
- Expertise in e-commerce operations and digital business strategy
- Agency background or experience working with digital media agencies
- Strategic acumen coupled with a high attention to detail and the ability to audit his/her own work for accuracy and quality
- The ability to work independently, be self-motivated and results-oriented but still be an excellent team player with a strong level of service
- Proven analytical and quantitative skills including a strong understanding of online marketing metrics
- Ability to thrive in a fast paced, entrepreneurial, high-energy environment that requires the ability to multi-task and implement high priority initiatives
- Exceptional written and verbal communication, planning, and project management skills with individuals at both peer and management levels
- Excellent presentation skills as well as proficiency in MS Excel
- Experience with Google Analytics or other web analytics tools
- Basic Photoshop and HTML knowledge
- Experience in Google Docs & GMail
Negotiable based on experience
If interested, email cover letter and resume to workforus(at)thedrinknation.com.
The Drink Nation Seeks Local Editor for Wasington DC, Baltimore, & New York City
The Drink Nation is a family of websites about drinking culture in American cities. Our national site, TheDrinkNation.com, features drink reviews, news, commentary and more. Our local sites contain a directory of all the best bars in the region; listings of upcoming events; and posts and articles about local bars, drink-related happenings and items of interest in the area.
We are currently searching for local editors in Washington DC, Baltimore, MD, and New York City.
If you are:
- an avid fan of great cocktails, craft beer or interesting wines (or, preferably, all of the above);
- well-versed in the ins and outs of your local restaurant and bar scene;
- can write quick and insightful blog posts and articles about the above;
- familiar with social media platforms like Facebook and Twitter;
and want to translate all that into a bit of extra cash, this is the position for you.
As local editor, you will be the point person for your site, writing articles, communicating with bars and PR firms, supplying information on openings, helping with social media and on-the-ground outreach and generally helping spread the word about your site.
Pay will include a base rate for a minimum of six article posts a month, which can be increased by bonuses that are awarded based on traffic generated by your posts and articles.
This is a freelance position.
If interested, send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Promo Brand Ambassador:
Interested in becoming a brand ambassador? Love to meet new people and learn about things going on in the city? If so, we got you.
We are looking for out-going people who want to work for an explosive company - while learning a ton about marketing, event coordination, and fostering community among site subscribers.
The hours will vary, ranging anywhere from 1 event (2-3 hours) to 4 events a week (8-12 hours) and even more during Philly Beer Week (20+ hours). Compensation will vary depending upon level of experience and availability.
Social Media Intern:
As an FYI, the internship position is unpaid, however it will build great experience in the world of social networking. The position is part-time and will require approx 30 hours a week devoted to working at the Drink Philly office.
The Drink Nation social media intern will:
- create, add to and maintain Twitter lists for @drinkphilly, @drinkbmore, @thedrinknation, @drinkdc and @drinknjshore
- lists will be local bars and restaurants, local press, local drink bloggers, national drink writers, spirits companies, wine companies, breweries, distributors
- curate existing Twitter accounts to trim down following count, if needed
- on Facebook, add other companies, bars and restaurants to page favorites for our respective brands
- post daily content links to Facebook, including tags of any mentioned/relevant entities
- create Facebook photo albums from events and post images with links and tags
- brainstorm on and execute questions/contests for The Drink Nation twitter and Facebook
- think of ways to drive Disqus comments on article posts